In the month of January 2018, FSL-India LTV Bangalore region organized for a Cultural Event (CE) at Pondicherry, Kanchipuram, Mysore, and Bangalore zones, under different themes.
Pondicherry: Theme: Religion: 12th January 2018: 1 Volunteer: Mailam is a village near Tindivanam and it is famous for the Mayilam Murugan Temple. Mayilam is located 15 kms from Tindivanam and 30 kms from Pondicherry. The temple, situated on a small hill, is connected with a village on the Coromandel coast, Bomayapalaiyam, very near Pondicherry, where a Veera Saiva Mutt is found. According to the name, ‘bomma’ or ‘bomme’, derived from the word ‘brāhmana’. This was a village donated to Brahmans, as is confirmed by the sthala purāna, in which Bomayapalaiyam is also named Brahmapuram. In the afternoon they had lunch together, after which the FSL-India Coordinator had a 1-to-1 talk with the volunteers about the project and their host family.
Feedback from the Volunteer
* It was very nice and interesting, refreshed and exciting
* It’s really useful that the Coordinator conducts such days for the volunteers
* Good to know about the Indian Culture from an Indian
Kanchipuram: Theme: Nature: 17thJanuary 2018: 2 Volunteers: Arignar Anna Zoological Park (abbreviated AAZP), also known as the Vandalur Zoo, is a zoological garden located in Vandalur, a suburb in the south-western part of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, about 31 kms (19 mi) from the city centre and 15 kms (9.3 mi) from Chennai Airport. Its previous location was set up in 1855 and was the first public zoo in India. In the afternoon, they had lunch together, after which our coordinator had a 1-to-1 talk with the volunteers about the project and host family.
Feedback from the volunteers
* It was a good experience at such a huge place. I enjoyed a lot with the Coordinator and my co-volunteer in this place
* Happy to see my favourite animals and birds here
* I think this cultural day is a very good idea for the volunteers. It would make us very happy.
* I was very happy in the place.
* Happy to see the animals. Got good experience.
Bangalore: Theme: Religion: 12thJanuary 2018: 1 Volunteer: The Shiv Temple, situated at Old Airport Road, Bangalore, is one of the most popular spiritual destinations in the city. Built in 1995, the temple is said to have the most powerful Shiva statue in the world with a gigantic 65 feet (20 m) tall idol. Ever since it was built, the temple has attracted many devotees from India and abroad. In the afternoon, they had lunch together, after which the FSL-India Coordinator had a 1-to-1 talk with the volunteers about the project and host family.
Feedback from the volunteer
* Got an opportunity to visit a Shiva temple, it was really a great experience for me
* Got a break from the regular routine and work
* Discussed different Gods and their favourite ceremonials
* Lunch was awesome and thank you for this event
Mysore: Theme: Cooking: 11thJanuary 2018:3 Volunteers: The cuisine of South India is known for its light, low-calorie, appetising dishes. The traditional food of South India is mainly rice-based. The cuisine is famous for its wonderful mixing of rice and lentils to prepare yummy, lip-smacking dosas, vadas, idlis and uttapams. The volunteer got an opportunity to make Indian food with one of our host families during this cultural event. In the afternoon, they had lunch together, after which the FSL-India coordinator had a 1-to-1 talk with the volunteers about the project and host family.
Feedback from the volunteer
* Good cultural experience
* It was the best experience
* Cooking with the Indian host mother – it was very interesting